Are you looking for strategies for better sleep? Here are 18 useful tips to make sure you get a restful night of sleep, as well as some vitamins and herbs.
- Sleep schedule should be the same 7 days a week – bed at the same time, arise at the same time – it’s routine which will help our circadian rhythm
- Temperature – between 13-16ºC.
- Exercise – but not within 2-3 hours of sleep time. – the more energy you expend the more your body will need to rest.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid large meals at night.
- No naps after 3pm.
- Relax before bed – don’t over schedule your day – that’s getting us into more of a parasympathetic mode – reversing the fight or flight of the day.
- Hot bath before bed with magnesium salts.
- Dark, Cool, gadget free bed room – No iPads and blue light.
- Sunlight exposure – morning and afternoon for 10-30 mins depending on skin tone.
- Turn off wifi at night.
- Reiki, Meditation, Hummingbird Exercise,
- Inflammation – Look at diet and natural anti-inflammatory measures.
- Allergy – Remove potential allergens fro sleep area – pillows, mattress washing powders
- Horary Clock – is there a regular waking time?
- Blood sugar – High Tryptophan foods (Turkey, dairy, hummus, sesame seeds, seafood, eggs ) with rice cakes
- Allocate sufficient time for sleep – put aside 8.5-9hrs every night to get to sleep.
Vitamins / Herbs to discuss with your health practitioner depending on stage of sleep being disturbed:
Magnesium, Vitamin D, Glycine, Valerian, passiflora, CBD Oil, Lavender oil, Chromium,
Glutathione, Probiotics/ Pre-biotics